Monday, February 7, 2011

Creamy Ham and Asparagus Soup

In a large saucepan with enough water to cover, cook until crisp-tender:
     
1-1/2 cup cut fresh asparagus (1 inch pieces)

Set aside.

1 medium carrot, julienned
2 Tblsp. butter
3 small onions, quartered
2 Tblsp. flour
1 cup milk
1 cup chicken broth
1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
1/2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
1 cup half-and-half cream
Salt and Pepper to taste
Grated parmesan cheese, optional
Chopped fresh parsley, optional

In a large saucepan, saute carrot in butter for 3 - 5 minutes; add onions and saute 2 minutes longer or until tender.  Stir in flour; gradually add milk.  Bring to a  boil. Boil and stir for 2 minutes. Add broth, ham, mushrooms and reserved asparagus.  Reduce heat; add cream. Heat through but do not boil.  Add salt and pepper.  Garnish with parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired.


*I'm not sure it you're supposed to add the water with the asparagus so I never have.  If you do, let me know how it turns out.
**I'm not sure what happens if you let it boil.  I accidentally did the last time I made it and it tasted the same, so... 
***Does anyone really use parsley?  Really?

No comments:

Post a Comment